Header 1

Our future, our universe, and other weighty topics


Sunday, October 4, 2026

Looking Back at My Blogging Activity, Part 4: The Year 2016

This is the fourth in a series of occasional posts in which I will look back at particular years of my blogging activity. In this post I will look at my blogging activity in the year 2016. 

My January 2016 post "The Possibility of a Paraverse" is one well worth reading. The concept of a multiverse is that there are many other universes very different from our own, which have no causal interaction with our own universe. I explained why the concept of a multiverse is of no explanatory value. I contrasted that idea with the different idea of what I called a paraverse, another realm of existence parallel to our own, with there being a two-way interaction between our universe and that other realm of existence. The idea is illustrated below, in which the arrows represent causal interaction. 

paraverse

My January 2016 science fiction story "Immortal Survival" is one of my better sci-fi yarns, one about the ultimate "winner-take-all" reality TV show. It had the visual below. 

reality TV of the future

My February 2016 post "The Gigantic Missing Link of Biological Life" was one of the first posts I published on the issue of whether DNA or its genes have any such thing as a blueprint, recipe or specification for making a human body.  In the post I argue that DNA and its genes were no such thing. I now consider this issue to be of great philosophical importance.  One reason is that mainstream claims that humans are the result of accidental random mutations are claims that are  discredited once we realize that DNA and its genes have no such thing as a blueprint, program or recipe for making a human body or any of its cells. 

My March 2016 post "Are We All Blindfolded Lab Rats In Their Big Gene Gamble?" is one that warned about the risks of experimenting with genomes. The concerns I expressed now seem very reasonable, given that multiple US intelligence agencies concluded (with varying degrees of confidence) that the COVID-19 epidemic resulted from a lab leak after bungling genetic experimentation. 

My March 2016 post "Gene-Spliced Super-Geniuses Are Not on the Horizon"  was one that criticized a ridiculous 2016 Nautilus article groundlessly claiming "Super-Intelligent Humans Are Coming," one claiming that scientists will soon be able to genetically engineer humans to have an IQ of 1000. Ten years later it is clear I was on the right side here. There is actually zero basis for believing that genetic engineering will ever produce humans with much higher intelligence.  One reason is that genes do not actually specify the structure of the human brain or any of its cells or any of the organelles of such cells or any of the protein complexes used by such cells. Another reason is that the human brain is not the source of the human mind, and is not a storage place of human memories, for reasons I explain in the greatest detail in the posts of my blog here and in the single book here. 

My June 2016 post "Cloud Computing and the Concept of Non-local Consciousness" was one that showed how I was starting to realize that brains cannot explain humans minds and human memory. I stated this: 

"Faced with the problem of consciousness, and the problem of how our memories our stored, a typical neurologist confines himself to the 'inside the box' assumption that the mind must somehow be generated by the brain. So he keeps thinking about some way that chemicals or neuron patterns or electricity might generate consciousness or store memories. This approach has been futile. After decades of knocking their head against this wall, scientists still have no evidence of physical memory traces inside the brain, nor do they have any real understanding of how things such as concepts can arise from the brain. As Rupert Sheldrake says on page 194 of his excellent book Science Set Free, 'More than a century of intensive, well-funded research has failed to pin down memory traces in brains.' The actual answer to the riddle of consciousness may lie in a non-local solution. Our consciousness might arise not from our brains, from some non-local source."

My August 2016 post "There Is No Plausible Explanation For How Brains Can Store Very Long-Term Memory" discussed the failure of all attempts to explain long term memory by any theory of a brain storage of memories. My next post in that month was entitled "The Navigation Argument Against the Idea That Your Brain Stores All Your Memories." It's an argument that stands up very well to do this day: that if your brain were to be storing your memories, you would never be able to instantly find a particular memory, because of the lack of any addresses, indexes or sorting in the brain. My next post gave another but equally strong argument against the claim of a neural storage of memories: the lack of any encoding system that could possibly explain how the type of things humans learn and experience could ever be converted to neural states or synapse states. 

In the year 2018 I would create a blog site dedicated to expanding on such ideas and reasoning, and presenting the massive evidence against claims that the brain is the source of the mind and that the brain is the storage place of human memories.  I have continued to post regularly at that site since 2018, and the site now has more than 450 posts pertinent to its stated theme. 

My November 2016 science fiction story "Buried Memories of the Distant World" is one of my best. At the time I wrote the story, I never dreamed that the scenario depicted may be of very great philosophical relevance. The story is one about interstellar colonists who lost the memory of the planet they were born on, because they were put in hibernation for a long interstellar voyage. In real life there are dreams and statements by those having near-death experiences that suggest the theory of the nonearthly preexistence of the human soul, a theory I describe in my post here. If such a theory is correct, then we may all be like those I describe in my story "Buried Memories of the Distant World." 

The year 2016 was one of my prime years as a photographer of the spooky and mysterious. In 2016 I added 1697 posts to my "Orb Pro" blog. An example of the type of photos I got in great abundance in 2016 was the photo below from December 28, 2016, showing mysterious blue orbs in Grand Central Terminal in New York. 

mysterious blue orbs

The same day I got the photo below showing a green transparent orb. 

green transparent orb

You can use the link here to see how very abundant were the mysterious anomalies showing up in my photos of December, 2016. The anomalies you will see include a repetition of stripe patterns in mysterious striped orbs, as shown here.

No comments:

Post a Comment