Header 1

Our future, our universe, and other weighty topics


Thursday, July 11, 2024

Some More Dreams or Visions That Seemed to Foretell a Death or Disaster

In the posts below I have given many examples of dreams, visions or eerie voices that seemed to foretell a death:

When Dreams or Visions Foretell a Death

More Dreams or Visions That Seemed to Foretell a Death

Still More Dreams or Visions That Seemed to Foretell a Death

Still More Dreams, Visions or Voices That Seemed to Foretell a Death



Let us look at some additional cases of this type.

On page 66 of the August 27, 1853 Spiritual Telegraph, we read the following:

" General Stephen Rowe Bradley, formerly of Westminster, Vermont, a lawyer of distinction, and senator from that State in Congress, a gentleman not likely to be influenced by superstitious notions, on one occasion, when absent from home some 100 miles, dreamed that his son, a youth, was drowned. The impression of this dream upon his mind was so intense, that he immediately, with all haste, started for home. On his arrival there, lie found the funeral procession just leaving his house, to bear that son to the grave! He was drowned, according to the indication of his father’s dream. 

Hon. John M. Goodenow, of Ohio, a lawyer of high standing, at one time member of Congress, and also a judge of the Supreme Court of that State, while residing in Bloomfield, in Trumbull County, resting at a tavern— a short day’s ride from home, when on his return from a journey— dreamed that his house was on fire, and his family asleep within it. He was a nervous man—one of the last persons to yield to fancies of that description; but, instantly awaking, and feeling an unusual solicitude for his family, he at once arose from his bed, mounted his horse, and rode with all speed for home, where he arrived just after day-break. His first sight of his house disclosed the smoke breaking through or issuing from the roof! His early arrival enabled him to arouse his family in season to save themselves and the bouse, which was ignited in some of the timbers, but had not yet burst into a flame."

An author named Newton Crosland stated this:

"On another occasion, some years ago, I dreamed that I saw an old uncle of mine dying. It was a morning dream. I had not seen or heard of this relative for many years previously. I believed that he was alive and well as usual at his house in Reading. The next morning I received a letter from a cousin, giving me the information of my uncle's death, which happened about an hour after the time when I experienced the dream."

prophetic dream

On page 194 of the 1877 document here, we read this:

"On Tuesday, August 17th, Roscoe Hurd, of West Lebanon, was drowned. The Great Falls Journal says:— ' Mrs. Hurd had been spending a few weeks at Ogunquit for her health, accompanied by her daughter Ella, and Roscoe the youngest son, fourteen years of age. Last week  Mr. Hurd had a very singular dream. He seemed to see Roscoe slide from the rocks, and be engulfed in the waves. So vivid was it that he could not get rid of the impression, and last Saturday went down to the beach to see if all were safe, and, when he came away, cautioned them over and over again to be careful. At five o’clock, Tuesday afternoon, this terrible dream had its fulfilment. Roscoe had fixed a comfortable place for his mother to lie down on the shore ; cheerily saying that he would be back soon, he went in bathing with a small boy ten years old.  While playing on the rocks he slipped, and an undercurrent quickly took him beyond human help."

As reported here, a doctor named Bartholomew A. Ruggieri says he had a dream on June 2, 1968, one in which he was on Sixth Avenue watching from a window a procession of mourners. In the dream mourners carried a banner ending with the words "Kennedy Assassination." Ruggieri phoned someone, telling him he thought that the dream signified that US senator Robert Kennedy would be assassinated on the 6th of June. Kennedy was shot late on June 5, 1968, and died from the attack on June 6, 1968. 

On page 142 of the document here, we read this account by Richard Walker:

"In the year 1833 I had left my home at Milton Mills, N. H., on the 13th of April, for a journey to different places, calculating to be gone five days. I had taken a horse and carriage as conveyance, as railroads were absent on my route. The second day after I left home I reached Portsmouth, N. H., and that night I dreamed that an aunt of mine, who had been in the spirit-world several years, came to me and told me that my little son was sick and would die; she also showed me all the arrangements of the funeral, just as afterwards actually took place. All this was so vivid and real to me that I had not a doubt of the fact, and instead of prosecuting my business any farther, as I intended, which would have led me to other places, I took an early start for home, arriving at Dover at 11 o’clock, and, while waiting for my horse to eat, I entered the house of a near relative, who urged me to stop to dinner, but I said, ‘'No, my boy is sick and will die; I must hasten home.'  When I arrived home I found my little son on his conch with membranous croup, and the doctor standing over him. He died before the time I should have been home had it not been for the dream."

On page 72 of an 1896 edition of  The Metaphysical Magazine, we have an account from a Canadian newspaper:

"On July 17, 1895, late in the afternoon, Mr. G. W . Walrond was standing in the office of Robert Evans & Co.'s warehouse, where he is employed as accountant. While talking to a young lady employed in the office, the vision of a burning house suddenly came before him. He closed his eyes and received a powerful impression that the Ocean House at the beach was on fire. He quietly told the young lady at the typewriter that he believed the Ocean House was on fire. She laughed at him. He stepped to the telephone and rang up the central office. ‘ Have you heard of a fire ? ’ he asked. ‘ Yes,' replied the operator, ‘ we have just heard from the beach that the Ocean House is burning ! ’ The next day Mr. Walrond spoke to Mr. Evans about the fire. ‘ Yes,’ said Mr. Evans, ‘ I was at the beach and saw it, and I was trying to reach you by telephone to tell you about it, but couldn't.'  After further explanations it was discovered that the time that Mr. Evans was thinking about Mr. Walrond and wishing that he could communicate with him by telephone was the exact time that Mr. Walrond saw the mental vision of the burning house and received the impression that it was the Ocean House. If the telepathic theory is true, Mr. Evans, although he failed to communicate with Mr. Walrond by telephone, did actually communicate with him by means of telepathy.” 

On page 232 of an 1895 edition of The Metaphysical Magazine, Laura E. Giddings gives us this account in which she seemed to dream-experience how a friend was dying far away:

"An occurrence of a similar nature was my own in October, 1882. In childhood I had for a playmate a little friend whom I will call Ida. When I was about ten years of age her father died and the family moved to a distant city. The mother married again, and my little playmate grew up among surroundings which effectually divided her life from mine. I had ceased to think of her, when one night I dreamed of being in a room where every object was as distinctly visible to me as though I had been actually there, and where upon a bed lay tossing in great agony my childhood's friend, Ida. I sat on a lounge near the bed, and while staring in a heart-broken sort of way at the pitiable suffering before me, my friend suddenly raised herself and turning to her mother, who seemed also present, exclaimed : ' Why, mamma, here is ------- ------,' giving her old childish name for me. I awoke from this vision as if emerging from a chamber of horrors, and although it was hardly more than midnight I did not again fall asleep. In the morning I told my experience to a friend, who laughed at me for being impressed by a dream ! Before the day was far gone, however, a telegram came, saying : ' Ida is dead. Can you come to us?' I hastened to the home of my friend's mother who met me with : ' Oh, N , Ida's last words were of you. She thought that you were sitting by her bedside, and, turning to me just before she died, said : " Oh, mamma, there is ------ -------! " ' "

On page 49 of the December 1897 - March 1898 edition of The Metaphysical Magazine, Mrs. Mcvean Adams gives us an account of being inexplicably struck by a sudden horror:

"Suddenly a cold horror seized me, my hair began to creep upon my scalp, and I felt my cheeks contract, as if the skin were drawn outward by invisible fingers. Darkness fell before my face -- the opaque blackness of deep, still water, but now agitated by violent movement; and in the water I saw a face arise, a countenance of distorted childish loveliness, which I could almost, but not quite, recognize. Across the white, dimpled cheeks, wet hair of a golden color was streaming. The voices of my companions sounded faint and far away. Suddenly the cathedral bell of my little onyx clock chimed, as if it struck against my ear, ' One, two, three, four.'  With convulsive movements of my arms, I struggled up against the darkness, and rushed from the room....Down the cellar-stairs I flew, straight to our cistern, which I found covered as usual, with a heavy weight, much beyond my power to lift, upon the cover. Once more the blood receded from my heart to my cold face and prickling hands and feet. Almost sobbing with the reaction of my relief, I ran out from the cellar, through the open double doors, and into the back yard. There, quietly seated upon the grassy terrace, were my boy and his three little playmates....I apologized to my guests by explaining that having imagined our cistern might be uncovered, and fearing that one of the children might fall in, the thought had frightened me so that even when I found it safe, I had brought the little ones in."

She later learned that a neighbor's little boy (Teddy) had drowned in a cistern at four o'clock that afternoon -- at the same time she had her strange vision. Adams states this:

"I now recognized the cold, wet, dimpled face, with the golden hair washed straight along the white cheeks. It was little Teddy, the laughing, chubby darling of my neighbor's household. Almost in silence my husband and I walked the mile, through the sweet June twilight, to that stricken home. Yes, it was the very face of my vision, but oh, so still and meek, the golden hair just drying into its old-time fluffy rings. I even leaned and looked into the opaque blackness of the water. It was just as I saw it, before the face appeared."

On page 57 of a master's thesis you can read here, Antoinette M. von dem Hagen tells us this striking account of a dream in which she also seemed to co-experience how someone died far away at about the same time: 

"In the middle of the night, I had a dream in which I was gently 'taken' to my father, who was driving down a dark road. I suddenly became aware that I was in my father’s car, hovering in the back seat behind his right shoulder. I could hear everything in his mind. He was upset about something, yet his thoughts were extremely clear. He was thinking about us: my mother, myself, and my siblings. There was a woman in the passenger seat, but she seemed very distant; I was not privy to her thoughts nor was I interested in them. It was raining hard, one of those tropical storms that come up quickly and disappear even faster. There were no lights on the highway. Without warning, something was in front of the car. It was large and heavy and dark; it could not be seen until we were upon it. My father swerved to avoid it, but suddenly he and I were floating up to the sky. We traveled on these magnificent waves of love, a joy and contentment that I have never again experienced. We were moving along a dark tunnel and I was so happy. Unexpectedly, a small light appeared at the end of the darkness. We started moving more quickly and the light grew larger. As we neared it, I was stopped. My father continued towards it and I tried to go as well. There was a 'physical'  resistance that became increasingly stronger; after my third attempt, a very firm 'voice,' —which I actually physically felt more than heard, almost like sound waves somehow translating into English—emerged from the light and said, 'It is not your time. You must go back.' I started to argue, asking to please go with my father. The voice repeated these sentences. Abruptly, I was whisked away by a strong 'wind' that moved me quickly through space, accompanied by lights of different colors. The journey back felt almost instantaneous and I found myself hovering over the crash site. There was an ambulance there, which loaded my father and the woman into the back and sped to Makati Medical Center. I know that because I followed them, and at the hospital, I heard a doctor pronounce my father dead. I also knew the woman had survived and was hospitalized."

Antoinette was told that day that her father had died. Later in the account we read this:

"Very soon after my mother returned, I asked if we could go see the lady in the hospital. She was shocked that I knew about her and asked me who had told me. I told her about my dream. Of course, I had no way of knowing that this woman was my father’s mistress, that he had brought her back to our home earlier that night, that there had been a fight, and that, for the first time any of us could recall, he removed his wedding and family crest rings and placed them in the den bathroom where they were found a few days later. My mother confirmed what I knew—the hospital, the time, the dark highway without lights on which a truck had broken down, the rain-slicked roads that made the crash inevitable."

On page 62 of the same master's thesis, we have this narrative rather similar to the narrative above, coming from Margaret Keller:

"My mate got up at 6:00 AM, February 27, 1981, went downstairs, washed up, put on the teakettle, went in the living room, sat down on the davenport, died of a massive coronary, and instantly 'departed.'  No sound, no struggle; yet I 'knew' – instantly. I raced downstairs, went to him, and 'went with him' through the tunnel, to the Light. He 'went through' the veil or membrane; I was stopped by 'the voice' and sent back, with a message. I did not want to come back at that moment. A lifetime was crowded into seconds, yet it was comfortable and 'uncrowded': timeless – more than that! My thoughts were speeded up and different. I was 'home,' and knew everything I had known forever. The joy, peace, love, warmth are not describable; joy beyond words. I was home, at one with God, love, self. I was totally alive, without the physical body, aware of all senses. I encountered 'the voice': warm, soft, loving, gentle, kind, yet loud and booming, firm and commanding, who said, as I was about to go through, 'Stop, stop, Margaret Helen. You must go back; you must go back now. My children need you; you have my work to do.' I sensed the presence and saw the spirit of my friend, others, all sending me back, yet filling me full of a love beyond description: forgiven and loved, but sent back."

Recently an NBC News local affiliate made this report:

"It was early Friday morning when Jessica Daley, who works along the Garden State Parkway, said she awoke to a premonition. 

'I had just like a really like, bad gut feeling that something was going to happen. Like something terrible was going to happen,' she said.

Then a second warning came around 4 a.m.

'I actually had a feeling that I was going to get in a car accident. And it was so strong, that I actually called out and I literally never call out of work,' Daley said.

About four hours later, there was a violent crash at the Barnegat Toll Plaza, as a garbage truck slammed into a collector’s booth.

Daley said that booth 'is usually the booth that I’m in.'

Debris hit a Chevy pickup and the toll booth. A toll collector and the trash truck driver suffered serious injuries."

No comments:

Post a Comment